Why is the gospel of grace so hard for so many of us to grasp? It’s because we don’t think grace. We don’t live in peace. There are 10 things that tend to block a gospel of grace mindset, and we all suffer from these to some degree in our modern world.
(1) We are RATIONAL minded in the western modern world. We are head driven more than heart driven. Earlier people were more relational minded and heart driven then we often tend to be. We often use our minds as a buffer to protect our hearts from being hurt, and from other influences.
(2) We are DEDUCTIVE minded, analytical, and we conclude most things on our life experience. Former people were more inductive and collective in thought, not so self focused and individualistic. Psychology sometimes calls us narcissistic. We arbitrarily adopt positions if they benefit us. Earlier people were more flexible and humble and receptive than we often are.
(3) We are MATERIAL minded: our materialistic society is talked about very often. Former people were more intuitive and mystical minded than we are today.
(4) We are REACTIVE minded. Our attitude is ‘sue the bastards,’ as the saying goes. Former people were more forgiving and tolerant. Today we hear about ‘road rage.’ We’d rather confront others than consider a change in ourselves.
(5) We are DOGMATIC minded. We think we’re right. 1 plus 1 must be 2. Or it can be 3 if we believe it. Our thoughts are structured. If anyone disagrees with us, we experience anger and conflict. We don’t want to be told what we must believe, even by God. We view the gospel as only one choice of many choices we have to make. We often concoct our own theologies.
To keep these posts short, I’ve divided these into 2 parts.
To consider numbers 6-10: http://wp.me/p1cSU4-ZD