My intent is to keep these posts short.
To consider the first five, click here: http://wp.me/p1cSU4-Hi
(6) We are SKEPTICAL minded. This is rightly so, in many ways. We have so much advertising, and so many philosophies, opinions and persuasions thrown at us (especially in an election year like now), that we become ultra-cautious. After all, we have more church denominations than Wikipedia can even count.
(7) We are RECOGNITION minded. All arrows point to us.We want rewards for what we do and say (even in heaven). We are tuned into radio station WIIFM: “What’s in it for me?” We all have MMFI printed on our forehead: “Make me feel important.” We view things more in a personal rights type of thinking than the common good.
(8) We are LEGAL minded. The USA is the most litigious culture in the world. We are trained to think LAW about everything. The gospel doesn’t fit the legal human thinking we’ve been conditioned to think. The gospel is God’s way of thinking, which Isaiah says is far above our way of thinking.
(9) We are CRITICAL minded. Any degree of legal thinking makes us critical minded and judgmental. Legal thinking creates a type of ‘measuring rod’ where everyone of us comes up short. This is not a ‘gospel of grace’ way of thinking and living.
(10) We are RESPONSIBILITY minded. We are self-driven. We think in terms of us being ‘self made.’ Earlier people were much more sovereign minded than we are. They were much more God-driven than self-driven. We tend to think in terms of human adequacy and sufficiency, which are totally anti-gospel. The gospel is based on the finished work of the cross of Jesus.